PAXCON Decal Sheet

Home Forums SoMD Members Forum PAXCON Decal Sheet

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Andy White
      Participant
        @whitey

SQMD Members…

For our upcoming contest (PAXCON), Chris Meddings, decal artist for “Inside the Amour” publications in the UK, has offered up his services to design a decal sheet for our show. With printing of the decals being done by  Decograph in Ukraine (they do the decals for Dora Wings, Modelsvit, Foxbot, Wingsy etc).

We’re going to do tail markings/logos from NAS Pax River in 1/72, 1/48, and 1/32nd scale on a standard A5 sized decal sheet (the size of Superscale, Microscale, Caracal, etc.). When it comes to the tail markings, I’m thinking the Naval Air Test Center “Gear” logo, the stylized “W” of the old Weapons Test  Division, the “S” of the Service Test Division, and anything else some of you might think of. I realize there are decals sheets out there covering several subjects from NAS Pax that encompass these markings (some of the recent Caracal sheets come to mind) but for other subjects there are no decals available. With a specific tail logo, and some simple letters and numbers those other more obscure subjects can be modeled (Cougars, Tigers, A-4s, S-2s P-2s, etc.).
        If room permits, I can have them do fuselage and tail lettering such as “NAVAL AIR TEST CENTER”, “NATC”, “SERVICE TEST”, ETC.

What I need most, is good reference material! There are only so many images on the interwebs. And anything like actual size (from there we can scale appropriately), and colors would be helpful in designing the placement guide. Contacts with photo archives on base, or the museum would be welcome as well. There is A LOT of history here at Pax, much of it stuffed away in file cabinets I’m sure!

Attached are a few images depicting the tail markings I have come across.

Thank you for any assistance in making this decal sheet come together.

v/r

Whitey

Vince Mankowski
        Participant
          @vincem

I sent a note to Mike Wilson. He’s been photographing Pax aircraft forever so I asked if he had any images we could use in designing/sizing the graphics and lettering.

Vince

Andy White
          Participant
          Participant
            @whitey

I sent a note to Mike Wilson. He’s been photographing Pax aircraft forever so I asked if he had any images we could use in designing/sizing the graphics and lettering.

Vince

Yes! Thank you! I was trying to think of the name of that guy who was the photographer.

David Fuller
            Participant
              @davef

Whitey,

Here’s a link to my flickr page of pictures from the Pax River airshow in 2011.  For Pax specific stuff, there are pics of the P-8, the Lakota, the T-2 from the P-8 program, the Beaver, a Firescout, and the E-2. You can use whatever you need.

Pax River Walkaround photos | Flickr

-David

Kirk Bonnevier
              Participant
                @kirkb

I had some luck at the Navy Historical site at the  following link searching on NATC or Patuxent River.  Nice profile of a NATC F6F attached/ Aviation (navy.mil)

I spoke to Chad Miller who has a role at the Museum. He’s getting me a POC at the Museum re: photos.

Attachments:
                Andy White
                Participant
                Participant
                  @whitey

I had some luck at the Navy Historical site at the  following link searching on NATC or Patuxent River.  Nice profile of a NATC F6F attached/ Aviation (navy.mil)

I spoke to Chad Miller who has a role at the Museum. He’s getting me a POC at the Museum re: photos.

Kirk,
                  Thank you very much. Re: the Pax Museum, I spoke with the Collections/Exhibits folks today and will be meeting with them tomorrow  (Fri 31 Mar) over at the museum to have a look at what they have, and to also get close to the aircraft for photos and possibly measurements of some of the markings.

Kirk Bonnevier
                  Participant
                    @kirkb

Sad face.  Just saw this.  Let me know if you need assistance. If you met up with Dan Macone or Pete Butt, I used to work with them.

Andy White
                    Participant
                    Participant
                      @whitey

Sad face.  Just saw this.  Let me know if you need assistance. If you met up with Dan Macone or Pete Butt, I used to work with them.

Kirk, thank you! I have sent Inside the Armour preliminary photos to see about the scope of work they’ll have to do. Awaiting work back on what they may need further from us. I’ll certainly hit up the troops here if I need more source data.

Whitey

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.